You can find tons of information about Sartre and his background all over the internet. I just want to paraphrase a few highlights from his beliefs that I think stand out.
- Everything we do affects not only ourselves, but by our choices and actions we are constantly setting examples for the rest of mankind. This is similar to the old, “actions speak louder than words” adage.
- When people would rather adhere to existing rules and norms rather than face the “terrifying” freedom of creating ourselves, we willingly possess what Sartre called, “bad faith.”
- We should not just remain open to change, we should be vigilantly seeking change to improve ourselves and our world.
- “Hell” is other people. This could be interpreted to mean that it is important to sometimes seek time to ourselves.
- In people, existence precedes essence. Sartre uses the example of a butter knife as the opposite, because the knife exists only after it’s purpose is known. People exist and then make their own purposes.